What kind of daily stress are you living with?
Juggling work, home, relationships and social obligations can be difficult to manage. Sometimes it feels like we're taking care of everyone, but no one is taking care of us.
Stress piles up and we can become overwhelmed by the smallest things.
Self care is crucial to manage daily stress and nip it in the bud before it becomes a constant overwhelmed state. It's really important to make time for yourself, even if that means quick breaks throughout your day. If you're pressed for time then try going outside. Get some exercise, breathe fresh air and clear your mind.
The key to self care is triggering the relaxation response. You can do meditation, yoga, aromatherapy, exercise or just get out in nature to feel relaxed. Triggering the relaxation response has many health benefits, including healthy cortisol levels, decreased heart rate, improved digestion, and normalized blood pressure and blood sugar levels. Aromatherapy is one of the easiest ways to trigger the relaxation response. It is a very effective self-care method to stop stress from taking root in the body. It is flexible and portable, and there are so many ways to use it.
Whether you choose to use aromatherapy in your bath, in carrier oil, or easiest of all, in a diffuser, here are:
5 Essential Oils for Self Care.
1. Geranium- Breathe in this complex and enigmatic essential oil to bring a sense of calm if you are feeling anxious. Geranium will help stress and depression melt away, bringing you to a place of happiness and peace. It is one of our best hormone balancers for women and blends beautifully with Bergamot & Lavender.
2. Rosemary- The powerful scent of Rosemary stimulates your confidence and concentration. It is wonderful to combat mental fatigue, nervous disorders, exhaustion and burnout. Rosemary clears the mind and emotions. It’s mind sharpening properties are wonderful for concentration and focus.
3. Bergamot –The embodiment of self-love & self-worth. This oil helps process and release the fear of not being good enough, emotional pain, restraining habits and opens you up to love and self-acceptance. Bergamot teaches acceptance of your uniqueness, self approval, joy, and resulting self-confidence. The whole world could use a sprinkle of Bergamot!
4. Frankincense - The King of Oils can be used daily to feel calm and spiritually connected. Apply it (in carrier oil) to your wrists or forehead, depending on how you feel that day. Use during meditation or yoga, or for a moment of meditation anywhere. Frankincense is such an excellent oil for brain function and immune boosting, two things that are definitely part of self care.
5. Ylang Ylang - Helpful with stress and anxiety. Its lovely uplifting scent is useful for depression or when trying to cope with anger. It’s great in blends intended to focus upon happiness & gratitude. Ylang Ylang is also considered an aphrodisiac.
The body/mind continuum is essential in healing and growth. Your spirit and your physical body are intertwined. The properties of essential oils are also intertwined to heal the body and the spirit. Practicing intentional self care keeps you balanced and healthy, essential for long term wellness.
Diffusers break up water and essential oils into extremely fine micro-particles, diffusing oils into the air as a cool mist using no heat. Using diffusers is the safest and most efficient way to use essential oils. It helps to purify and deodorize the air while aiding in emotional and physical health.
You just need to fill up the base of the diffuser with water, add a few drops of your favorite essential oils, close the lid and turn on.