5 Essential Oils for Self Care
Daily stress is real, and we need ways to provide Self Care for ourselves and our families.
Juggling work, home, relationships and social obligations in a time of Pandemics and Lockdowns can be difficult to manage. Sometimes it feels like we're taking care of everyone, but no one is taking care of us.
Stress piles up and we can become overwhelmed by the smallest things.
Self care is crucial to manage daily stress and nip it in the bud before it becomes a constant overwhelmed state. It's really important to make time for yourself, even if that means quick breaks throughout your day. If you're pressed for time then try going outside. Get some exercise, breathe fresh air and clear your mind.
The key to self care is triggering the relaxation response. You can do meditation, yoga, aromatherapy, exercise or just get out in nature to feel relaxed. Triggering the relaxation response has many health benefits, including healthy cortisol levels, decreased heart rate, improved digestion, and normalized blood pressure and blood sugar levels. Using Aromatherapy is one of the easiest ways to trigger the relaxation response. It is a very effective self-care method to stop stress from taking root in the body. It is flexible and portable, and there are so many ways to use it.
Whether you choose to use Essential Oils in your bath, in carrier oil, or easiest of all, in a diffuser, here are:
5 Essential Oils for Self Care.
1. Geranium- Breathe in this calming & balancing Essential Oil to bring a sense of togetherness and softness if you are feeling anxious, overwhelmed or frazzled. Geranium will help stress and depression melt away, bringing you to a place of happiness and peace.
Geranium has a deep floral aroma with both citrus and herbaceous tones. We call this a 'centering oil' because after inhaling it mentally pulls you into your body and makes you feel comfortable and confident. Great when you're feeling low, highly emotional or scattered.
Geranium is one of the best hormone balancers for women. What does this mean? All the glands in the Edocrine System secrete hormones. Our brains send messages to these glands and hormones are secreted that keep us alive and in good health. This does not only include our reproductive systems, but emotions, mood, sleep & blood pressure,
That's why Geranium is so important to self care, it helps keep our emotions in check, keeps us sleeping well and have a healthy, balanced body.
Geranium blends beautifully with Bergamot, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Lavender, Neroli, Patchouli, Rose & Vetiver.
2. Rosemary- Rosemary is a powerhouse of an Essential Oil, and perfect for use in self care. It's sharp and clear aroma is so beneficial to clearing brain fog, improving memory and giving a boost of energy.
Using Rosemary Essential Oil topically (mixed with a carrier oil) is wonderful to reduce muscle pain, increase circulation and improve breathing.
Rosemary makes a lovely addition to a restorative bath. Try mixing it with Geranium and Frankincense.
3. Bergamot – Bergamot Essential Oil is the embodiment of self-love & self-worth. This oil helps us process and release the fear of not being good enough, emotional pain, restraining habits and opens us to love and self-acceptance.
Bergamot teaches acceptance of your uniqueness, self approval, joy, and resulting self-confidence. The whole world could use a sprinkle of Bergamot!
Bergamot is so fabulous for self love, and it's so easy to use it. Just add a few drops to your diffuser and inhale. Bergamot loves blending with other essential oils. Try mixing with Lavender, Vetiver, any other citrus and Geranium too.
4. Frankincense - The King of Oils can be used daily to feel calm and spiritually connected. Apply it (in carrier oil) to your wrists or forehead, depending on how you feel that day. Use during meditation or yoga, or for a moment of meditation anywhere. Frankincense is such an excellent oil for brain function and immune boosting, two things that are definitely part of self care.
5. Ylang Ylang - Helpful with stress and anxiety. Its lovely uplifting scent is useful for depression or when trying to cope with anger. It’s great in blends intended to focus upon happiness & gratitude. Ylang Ylang is also considered an aphrodisiac.
The body/mind continuum is essential in healing and growth. Your spirit and your physical body are intertwined. The properties of Essential Oils are also intertwined to heal the body and the spirit. Practicing intentional self care keeps you balanced and healthy for long term wellness.
Diffusers break up water and essential oils into extremely fine micro-particles, diffusing oils into the air as a cool mist using no heat. Using diffusers is the safest and most efficient way to use essential oils. It helps to purify and deodorize the air while aiding in emotional and physical health. You just need to fill up the base of the diffuser with water, add a few drops of your favorite essential oils, close the lid and turn on.
Leave a comment